Tuesday, August 10, 2010

a glimpse into my purse

I like my knitting to be portable.  Even when i was working on Tangy Giselle, it was in my messenger bag most days right along with my textbooks.  I would work on it in class (when professors allowed), between classes while studying, it was heavenly.  The issue for me was always how to carry knitting supplies without losing them.  I was really worried about carrying scissors and poking a hole in my bag or losing my nice, birch cable needles (which have been borrowed and lost by family members, but oh well).  So, over time, i have gradually put together a compact kit that i will be able to travel with and keep some of the most important knitting supplies on hand.  The biggest thing that i'm missing is the ability to carry a crochet hook in it.  Here's what i carry with my knitting:


  • The case is from the Icing store at the local mall:  i got it on clearance for $2.75.
  • The tape measure is from Wal-Mart, i had it on hand, it probably cost me about $1.
  • The stitch holders were a gift from a family member who knows that i knit.  I have some larger ones at home, but this is a handier size and prevents me from losing my stitch markers.  Sets of 3 with varying sizes are about $3-5 new from Michaels or Hobby Lobby
  • The blanket pin is what i'm going to be using until i find a shawl pin that i like well enough to splurge on.  $2 from Michaels
  • Cable needle, bought in a set of 3, probably from Michaels.  Again, about $2.
  • Stitch markers...i use a lot of these (and lose them, too).  I have about ten on the needles right now, three off, and have lost 7.  These are nice and flexible, and come in two sizes (in the same package) and two colors.  I prefer orange and blue to the new green and purple.  $6 for 20 at Tangle, i think they were cheaper at Michaels.
  • Nail clippers, found at Big Lots...i think they were $1.  These are short enough to make it through security at an airport.
  • Not pictured, but often with me, is my row counter (which i have on a keyring, so it's usually with my keychains).
  • Total cost of $10-15

No comments: